Generally, game jams have a pretty relaxed atmosphere where everyone can be creative without having to worry. There are four rules which should make Franken Game Jam a hospitable environment for everybody!
- Respect your host – The host of the event location is responsible for setting the opening times of the location, where smoking is allowed, which rooms & equipment may be used etc. Please be considerate of these requests. Letting us jam in a location for 48 hours is no given.
- Clean your workplace when you’re finished – On the same note: As a games community we don’t just want to make an okay impression, we want to make an excellent impression. Leaving the location tidy is essential for this. Cleaning your workplace is done in a few minutes and will help everyone!
- Please respect our Code of Conduct.
- Upload your game by 18.00 – The only true rule for jamming is the 18.00 deadline on Sunday. If you want to get your game displayed on the website please upload your game by the deadline. You as a team keep all rights for your games.
In addition, there are serveral guidlines which aim to make the game jam more awesome for everyone:
- Try to create an atmosphere of helpfulness. No one should be afraid to ask anyone else questions. When someone asks, help them if you can!
- That said: Google first, ask questions later. As questionee, it makes a good impression if you’ve at least put some effort into solving a problem by yourself. However, often it’s not clear what you should be googling or hard to apply the results you found. So don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions!
- Find a different team! A game jam is a unique opportunity to get to know new people by working with them in an intense timeframe. Use it!
- Try making compormises. Pushing your own ideas can be compelling. However, keep in mind that it is very difficult to communicate an idea, especially if it is fresh. A game jam is only 48 hours. It’s an excellent opportunity to explore how you can handle ideas you aren’t 100% convinced by from the start.
- Use the theme as a source of inspiration.
- Try something new! Explore a design pattern, technology or genre you haven’t tried yet.